Monday, October 19, 2009

Blood Clots: Finding Sources and The Basic Overview

I never realized the plethora of information available out there on the internet on any topic. When I typed in "blood clots" into Google scholar, so much came up, I had to start reading the overviews just to figure out the specific topic I wanted to focus on. Reading all the papers was quite a challenge because the jargon used is so topic-specific that you have to look up almost all the words in the first few papers just to get a slight idea of what its talking about. It's not English, its scientific English, 500% harder to decipher than Shakespearean English!

I finally settled on platelet receptors and their role in blood clot formation. (I hope this follows through because the thought of changing my topic now is daunting)

Sources:
Integrins: Dynamic Scaffolds for Adhesion and Signaling In Platelets

The Contribution of the Three Hypothesized Integrin-Binding Sited In Fibrinogen to Platelet-Mediated Clot Retraction

GPIIb-IIIa: The Responsive Integrin


Structural basis For Allostery In Integrins And Binding To Fibrinogen-Mimetic Therapeutics

Platelet Physiology and Thrombosis

Platelet Receptors and Signaling In the dynamics of Thrombus Formation

Information:
After reading these sources, I have figured out the basic process of blood clotting through alphaIIbbeta3 receptors. A receptor is activated by an activator (ligand) and the receptor's morphology changes from being bent (inactive) to straight up (active). In its active form, a fibrinogen molecule can bind to the receptors on the platelets. Throbin, a protein in the blood that helps with thrombus formation, causes the fibrinogen to form insoluble fibrin fibers. Theses fibers are the web-like structure of the clot and hold the platelets, cells and other clotting factors in place so the clot can form.

I'm still researching how the integrin knows to activate the platelet. So far, I understand that when there is vascular injury, there is a chemical response, which triggers the integrins. What that chemical response and how that is triggered, I don't know yet.

Lets hope I can figure out the whole process!!

No comments:

Post a Comment